Are you curious about what it is like to be a Virtual Assistant (VA for short)? Have you been contemplating whether or not to start your own VA business? Today, I am excited to share with you an interview with a Virtual Assistant and how she grew her business. She also offers coaching services for others who would like to have a virtual lifestyle and work from home.
Let me introduce Michelle LaVine. Michelle has been a Virtual Executive Assistant since 2015. She also has a coaching program for those who wish to work from home online. You can find her VA services over at youressentialassistant.com. For coaching services, you can find her at bevirtualtoday.com.
Here is Michelle.
- Please tell us a little about yourself and why you decided to become a Virtual Assistant.
I am a seasoned executive assistant with over 20+ years of support experience. My career started as a 9-1-1 dispatcher for 12 years. I then transitioned out of the public sector into the private sector, working in various organizations and moving from the AA role to C-Suite EA during the course of about 8 years. In 2015 when my position in a highly visible credit card firm was part of a reduction in force, I became a VA.
- Describe your journey from the moment you decided to become a Virtual Assistant and how your business has grown.
I decided to take my virtual skill set and supplement my unemployment by doing VA work in 2015 when I was laid off. Within the first 2 weeks, I landed my first three clients from placing ads on Craigslist. Once I secured a new full-time job, I continued to keep my VA business as a side hustle until January of 2018, when I quit my full-time job and went all-in on my business. Since 2018 I have scaled my business to have 8 clients and now have a coaching leg of my business, Be Virtual Today, where I coach others to have a virtual lifestyle as I have.
- Tell us about one of your most significant accomplishments in your business.
One of my most significant accomplishments would be creating and launching my VA coaching program.
- What is one goal you have accomplished that you feel has made you successful?
I made a goal for myself to be a speaker at an event at some point in my journey. In 2019 I was on stage with one of my clients discussing the Power of Partnership at the ELS Forum Boston and was able to speak about how virtual partnerships work!
- How has being your own boss changed your life?
I am a HUGE advocate for leading and manifesting the life that you want. Being my own boss has allowed me to create a lifestyle and income stream that lets me be present and engaged with my family and friends without feeling like I am ever “working”.
- What do you tell a potential client when they ask, “why do I need a Virtual Assistant”?
I actually ask them:
- What tasks are you not getting done?
- How much time are you spending on non-revenue generating tasks?
- How much do you bill an hour to your clients?
- Wouldn’t it make more sense to pay me to do it for XXX per hour while you are then getting that time back to bill at XXX per hour?
Finally, I tell them that I am not just a VA but I am their strategic business partner.
- What does a typical workday as a Virtual Assistant look like?
There really is no “typical” day. I support a variety of health and wellness professionals, coaches, and two startups, and two non-profits. My tasks and daily workload varies week over week as well as month over month.
- What advice would you give to someone starting their own VA business?
Take the time to work with a coach/mentor and really understand what makes your heart sing. Also, consider the types of people that you would want to work with, and most importantly, what your TIME is worth and where your add value is. Too many VA’s short changes their income potential because they don’t charge enough or work with people who don’t value them as much as they should.
If you are interested in becoming a Virtual Assistant, head on over to Be Virtual Today and schedule a chat with Michelle!
And, if you’re ready to start your own website or blog, you can see my services HERE. I offer blog management, Pinterest services and so much more to help your business GROW! Sign up for the 50+ Blogger’s Club where women over 50 unite and learn business and blog tips and just encourage each other BELOW!
Here are a few other blog posts that might interest you: